PERMITTING STEPS FOR A DETACHED RESIDENTIAL ACCESSORYBUILDING
To Obtain a Permit:
The minimum information needed to complete an application for an Accessory Building Permit:
- Project address.
- Property owner’s name.
- Tax Parcel # (may be obtained from the tax office, if not on file).
- Total contract cost.
- Contractor, phone #.
- Full description of work to be done.
- Plot plan showing dimensions of accessory building and size of primary structure.
What is the Cost of the Permit?
- Zoning Fee for fences, sheds & porches is $75.00
- Accessory Buildings/Structures Permit fee is $55.00
- Trade fee $55.00 per trade
Can I Get the Permit the Same Day?
- Generally, yes. The application must be reviewed/approved by the Zoning Department before a permit can be issued.
When Do I Need to Call for an Inspection?
- This needs to be coordinated with the inspector at the time the permit is issued.
I Live Outside the Town Limit. Do I Need a Permit?
- Yes, as a minimum the Zoning Department will need to review your project for compliance.
Will I Need a Plot Plan?
- Yes, showing all existing and/or proposed structures, including distances from the property lines. A copy of a survey map or a hand drawn copy to scale will be accepted.
CAMA Permits Required?
- If the project is located in the Area of Environmental Concern, with 75’ of a water body, a CAMA Permit will be required.
Is a Licensed Contractor Required?
- If the total project cost is $30,000 or more, then a General Contractor’s License is required. All other trades are required to be licensed.
Are Flood Gates Required?
- Yes, if located within the A-Zone (100-year flood area) gates or dampers must be installed.