Ahoskie Historic Preservation Commission:
Overview: The Historic Preservation Commission recommends design standards and guidelines for the Local Historic District to the Town Council. The Commission recommends areas to be designated in the Local Historic District to Town Council; and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas, or objects to be designated as Historic Landmarks. They also review and act upon requests for major work requiring a Certificate of Appropriateness (COAs) for alterations, demolitions, or new construction within the historic district. The Historic Preservation Commission also prepares and recommends the preservation element of the Town Comprehensive Long Range Plan.
- Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, architectural, and/or cultural significance.
- Recommend to the Town Council areas to be designated by ordinance as “Historic Districts”; and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas, or objects to be designated by ordinance as “Landmarks."
- Acquire by any lawful means the fee or any other lesser included interest, including options to purchase, to properties within established districts or any other such properties designated as landmarks, to hold, manage, preserve, restore, and improve the same, and to exchange or dispose of the property by public or private sale, lease or otherwise, subject to covenants or other legally binding restrictions which will secure appropriate right to public access and promote the preservation of the property.
- Restore, preserve, and operate historic properties.
- Prepare and recommend the official adoption of a preservation element as part of the Town Comprehensive Long Range Plan.
- Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolitions, or new construction with historic districts, or for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks, pursuant to this Section.
- Recommend design guidelines to the Town Council.
Ahoskie Historic Preservation Commission Roster
1st Official Meeting 07/11/2007
Established 02/13/2007 Updated 07-20-2017
Phone Number Term Expires
John Fritz (Chairman)
209 S. Catherine Creek Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910 209-5455 06-30-2020 John.D.Fritz@honeywell.com
105 Clarendon Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910 332-4911 06-30-2019 firstname.lastname@example.org
W. Dan Joyner
107 Berkley Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910 332-2507 06-30-2019 email@example.com
126 Arrow Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910 209-7001 06-30-2019 firstname.lastname@example.org
116 Main Street E
Ahoskie, NC 27910 209-0870 06-30-2019 email@example.com
Louis M. Velazquez
210 S. Williford Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910 332-6844 06-30-2019 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ahoskie Chamber of Commerce 332-2042 06-30-2018 email@example.com
301 S. Catherine Creek Rd.
Ahoskie, NC 27910
Mayor – Jimmie Rowe
Ahoskie, NC 27910
Hertford County Economic Town Manager – Kerry McDuffie
Development Director – Bill Early P. O. Box 767
P. O. Box 429 Ahoskie, NC 27910
Winton, NC 27986 (O) 332-5146
(O) 358-7801 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jo Ann Williford
NC Office of Archives and History
Raleigh, NC 27699-4610
Meeting Date – 4th Thursday of the Month at 6:00 p.m.